Rise and shine. If you’ve got the “rise” part down, but you’re still working on that shine, starting your day with this protein-packed tofu scramble might do the trick. Did you know that tofu contains all nine essential amino acids? It also provides iron, calcium, and trace minerals, making it an excellent fuel source for powering through those early morning classes.
Never tried tofu before? No worries—this recipe is basically foolproof and a great introduction to this plant-based staple. Tofu takes on the flavor of whatever it’s cooked with, so round up your favorite spices and don’t be shy! If you’ve got time to spare, you can even add some diced veggies to really make this scramble shine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 2 tablespoons milk (nondairy or regular)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Your choice of chopped vegetables (e.g., tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach)
1. Heat oil and tofu
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Optional: Add chopped onion to the pan and cook until translucent.
- Add tofu to the pan.
2. Mash and cook tofu
Using a fork or potato masher, mash tofu and stir frequently for three to four minutes.
3. Add optional seasonings
Stir in nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric, and garlic powder. Cook for five minutes.
4. Add milk and optional vegetables
Stir in your choice of milk and chopped vegetables, if using. Cook for two minutes.